Phone: 0409 786 659

Tiger snake bites father and son in their Melbourne home



Author: Craig Adams
Date: Tuesday, January 10, 2017

The below article was taken from The Guardian Friday 6 January 2017. Manage snakebite risk around your home by being prepared. Stock appropriate compression bandages and learning the basic principals of snakebite first aid.


Tiger snake bites father and son in their Melbourne home

Matt Horn bitten twice after he found 11-year-old Braeden, who has autism, playing with the reptile.

A Melbourne father and his 11-year-old autistic son have been bitten by a tiger snake that slithered into their suburban home.

Matt Horn was bitten twice as he tried to protect his son, Braeden, who had been bitten while playing with the snake in the hallway of their Diamond Creek home.

Ambulance Victoria confirmed on Friday that paramedics had treated the pair for suspected snake bites on Tuesday before they were taken to the Austin hospital.

A snake catcher, Mark Pelley, was called in to remove the snake. “Both of them got bitten and they got away unscathed because they did the right thing by calling triple-zero and the ambulance attended them straight away,” Pelley said.

“The only problem was the father was trapped in the room and he couldn’t get any treatment from the paramedics until I arrived to remove the snake.”

Pelley said tiger snakes were not normally aggressive and would strike only if people attempted to handle them. “The son had autism and didn’t know what was happening so he handled the snake and it bit him,” he said.

Tiger snakes often entered homes to escape the heat on hot nights, he said.

Australian man bitten by taipan snake dies after six days in hospital



Author: Craig Adams
Date: Tuesday, January 10, 2017

The below article was taken from The Guardian, Tuesday 27 December 2016. The question raised by many of these cases is wether or not snakebite first aid was immediately and correctly applied. The Pressure Bandage + Immobilisation technique has been proven to delay the spread of venom into the system. Snakebite is a medical emergency requiring an immediate response:

  • 1) check for danger
  • 2) commence first aid

Australian man bitten by taipan snake dies after six days in hospital

David Pitt, 77, went into cardiac arrest after highly venomous reptile bit him on the foot in his home in far north Queensland.

An elderly man bitten by a taipan at his home in Queensland has died after spending nearly a week in hospital.

David Pitt, 77, went into cardiac arrest after the highly venomous snake bit him on the foot at his home in Yorkeys Knob, Cairns, on 20 December.

Pitt was attempting to remove the snake which had slithered into his lounge room when he was bitten. He was revived and taken to intensive care at Cairns hospital but died on Boxing Day.

The coastal taipan is Australia’s largest venomous snake, with some adults growing two metres long.

Fauna Spotter Catcher Update



Author: Craig Adams
Date: Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Another successful SSSAFE Fauna Spotter Catcher training course was conducted in May.  This nationally accredited training program is unique.  Of course, we focus on animal handling and husbandry techniques but the real thrust of the training is Risk Management! Fauna Spotter Catchers play a critical role in the mining and construction environment, where clear-headed sound judgment is essential.  The stakes can be very high and safety is paramount!  Catching wild animals can be dangerous and once fear and adrenalin kick-in things can easily spiral out of control.  The FSC must learn to remain calm and in control of any wildlife emergencies but also consciously aware of the inherent dangers of the work site.  A high level of situational awareness is essential and this is why good FSC's are also good Risk Managers.  Exposure to a range of animals in the Zoo environment provides an absolutely unique training context to prepare the trainee for this challenging and rewarding occupation.


Keep your head tucked in tight. The emus feet are weapons! 


Goannas pose a serious threat to the inexperienced FSC.


Trainee demonstrating the correct technique.


The correct way to grasp a sugar glider.


Participant safety is taken very seriously.


Kitted out and good to go!

Recent Posts


Tags


Archive


Find Blog Post by Date

SuMoTuWeThFrSa
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930